The AirDrain geocell has expansion and contraction built into the part and can add valuable LEED points to any green roofing project with a unique design and 100% post-manufactured recycled content. Lightweight at only 3.1 pounds per 7 square feet, and rated at 33,552 psf, AirDrain is the ideal drainage medium for rooftop applications whether decorative or in constant use. Move water rapidly or capture it for retention with 92% air it’s easy. And know that no other product stacks and ships more compactly, reducing the number of trucks and the amount of fuel required to transport to the green roof job site.
Build a better green roof with AirDrain.
An AirField Systems AirDrain grid creates a GMAX that is consistent across the entire field. Some factors that might influence a change in GMAX would be an inconsistency of the infill or wear of the synthetic turf fibers. Unlike traditional shock pads or e-layers the AirField Systems AirDrain grid is 1″ high, extremely light weight at 3.1 lbs per 7 sqft., 233 psi (unfilled) and has a 92% air void. This unmatched vertical and lateral drainage all but eliminates standing water and moisture trapped on the rooftop.
Thru a research project conducted at Texas A&M, it was concluded that you can reduce your irrigation needs using AirField Systems AirDrain. The five year research project was jointly funded by the United States Golf Association and AirField Systems and was a collaborative effort between Texas A&M, AirField Systems and the United States Golf Association. The data from the research showed that the AirField Systems drainage profile provided between one to three more days of plant available water than a United States Golf Association recommended gravel and sand profile.
The AirDrain Advantage
Benefits of AirField Systems AirDrain in a green roofing system include:
- AirDrain creates and helps maintain a constant Gmax for Synthetic Turf
- Shock absorption reduces the strain on joints and ligaments
- AirDrain can be reused when the Synthetic Turf must be replaced
- Can help qualify for LEED and other green building credits
- A smaller carbon and development footprint with greatly reduced excavation and site disturbance
- Water harvesting reclamation and reuse is easy
- AirDrain is a 100% recycled copolymer with the impact modifier “metallocene” qualifying it as a “No Break” plastic
- An AirDrain System sand profile creates its own perched water table
- Resins can be made to the following specification “Flammability UL 94 Medium Impact Flame Retardant Polypropylene Copolymer Resins”
Specifications, Studies and Downloads
Green Roof – Rooftop Drainage
Watch the Chesapeake Energy Natural Turf Rooftop Installation Presentation:
To discuss your green roof construction project, call AirField Systems at (405) 359-3775.